If you see fire or smoke in your immediate area, use the RACE acronym as a guide:
- Activate the fire alarm. Pull the nearest fire alarm station. Call 911 to report the location of the fire/smoke and any other pertinent information. If the call cannot be made safely from the building, call as soon as you find a safe place.
- Remove anyone in immediate danger. Advise students, staff and visitors to evacuate the building. Evacuate the building via the closest exit doors located away from the fire. Do not use elevators. Assist handicapped individuals to the nearest stairwell landing and advise police and/or firemen of their location. Move well away from the building (500 feet is recommended).
- Confine and contain. Close all doors as you leave the building. Do not lock the doors.
- Extinguish. Do this only if you know the location of a nearby extinguisher and can do so without endangering your safety.
If you hear a fire alarm:
- You must evacuate the building. Ensure that all present in your area also evacuate.
- Shut the door, but do not lock the door.
- Do not delay your evacuation. But, if possible, take your backpack, briefcase, purse and coat with you.
- Evacuate the building via the nearest fire exit and remain well away from the building (at least 500 feet), until informed by a University Police officer that you may re-enter.