When conditions are right, a severe weather watch may be issued. Continue with normal activities, but monitor the situation.
When severe weather is imminent, a warning will sound. If severe weather approaches, be prepared to move to shelter.
- Remain indoors and away from all windows until the severe storm passes. If large hail begins to fall and you are outside, seek shelter immediately.
- Report any injuries or damage by calling:
- Injuries- 911
- Damage- 424-1212
- Be prepared to give the following information:
- Your name.
- Building name.
- Type of injury or damage.
- Location of injured person(s) or building damage.
- Room number you are calling from.
The National Weather Service issues a tornado watch when conditions are favorable for the formation of a tornado. A watch does not mean that a tornado has been sighted. However, you should remain aware of current or changing local weather conditions.
When a tornado watch is issued for our area:
- University Police send an email tornado watch notice on the University-wide employee email list.
- University Police may send additional messaging through LED message boards.
- University Police call selected administrative offices that are responsible for passing information on to others in their area.
- Advise staff, students and visitors of the tornado watch.
- Monitor weather conditions locally by observation or via a local radio station.
A tornado warning is issued when a tornado has been spotted and people in its path are in danger. The University Police will send a Titan Alert notice for tornado warnings only when time permits. Tornado warnings are announced by the National Weather Service via radio and by local authorities via emergency service radios and Civil Defense warning sirens. These may the only notices of a warning you will receive.
When a tornado warning is issued:
- The emergency warning sirens will sound.
- Do not pull the fire alarm for tornado warnings.
- Do not evacuate occupants of buildings.
- Everyone should move from offices and classrooms to an interior hallway. If time permits, attempt to move to the lowest-possible level of the building.
- Take mobile phones, bottled water or soda with you, if available. Do not stop at vending machines to purchase these items while taking shelter.
- Sit on the floor with your back to the interior wall.
- Cover your head with your arms.
- Stay as far away as possible from furniture, windows and exterior doors and exits.
- Remain in the building unless told to evacuate by police or fire personnel.